The last Wednesday of September, join women across America in celebration of National Women’s Health and Fitness Day! On this day, women come together to support each other in taking steps toward better health and there are many ways to celebrate. Join an exercise group, begin yoga or meditation, or schedule a wellness appointment. One key way to monitor health is with an eye exam!
What Is Included in a Comprehensive Eye Exam?
Eye exams not only check your vision and the health of your eyes but overall health as well. Sometimes, a discovery during an eye exam leads to early diagnosis and treatment of another health issue. During an eye exam you’ll be checked for:
- Visual acuity – clearness of vision
- Depth perception
- Peripheral vision
- Eye muscle movement
- Pupil reaction
- Keratometry – checks the cornea
- Refraction – determines the strength needed for lenses
- Eye focusing and how the eyes work together
During the exam, your eyes are checked for eye health issues. You’ll be screened for glaucoma, because early detection helps preserve your vision. Glaucoma often begins with no apparent symptoms, and without treatment, it may cause blindness. Your eyes will also be checked for signs of cataracts, which can reduce vision. Your doctor also checks the health of the optic nerve.
What Other Health Issues May Show Up During an Eye Exam?
Early diagnosis is key to better outcomes for many issues. Other health issues that may be discovered during your eye exam for National Women’s Health and Fitness Day include:
- High blood pressure – Blood vessels of the eyes may show evidence of high blood pressure.
- Diabetes – Diabetic eye disease may be diagnosed by examining the blood vessels in the retina for blood or yellow fluid.
- Multiple sclerosis or other autoimmune diseases – These may be caught early by looking at the health of the optic nerve.
- Thyroid disease, especially Graves’ disease
- Cancers and tumors
Take the Best Care of Your Eye Health, and Celebrate National Women’s Health and Fitness Day With an Eye Exam!
Visit South Palm Eye Associates for a comprehensive eye exam in South Palm from our amazing team of vision specialists. Learn more about your vision, and get screened for eye health / overall health this National Women’s Health and Fitness Day. Call us today at 561-737-4040 to book an appointment.