Your eyes are incredible organs, and eye health issues such as cataracts and glaucoma are far more prevalent than most people realize. That is why World Sight Day is so important. It is a day to encourage people to be aware of eye health in general as well as of the health of their own eyes.
Here Are 10 Fun Facts to Help You Celebrate Your Eyes on World Sight Day
- The only body part more complex than the eye is the brain. Eyes can instantly process more than ten million pieces of information per second.
- Heterochromia is when a person has two different eye colors. This is seen in less than one percent of people.
- All babies are color blind at birth. About 300 million people continue to experience color blindness as they grow. Most of those people are men, as 1 in 12 men and only 1 in 200 women experience red-green color blindness. In rare cases, some people experience blue-yellow color blindness.
- The human eye can distinguish about a million different colors. It can see more shades of green than shades of any other colors.
- The eye contains light-sensitive cells known as rods and cones. Rods allow us to see shapes while cones allow us to detect color and sharpness.
- Two to three percent of women in the world have tetrachromacy, or an extra cone in their eye that allows them to see a wider range of colors than most people. These women are often genetically related to men with some form of color blindness.
- In addition to eye-specific illnesses, a sight test can help diagnose diabetes and high blood pressure.
- The average person sees almost 25 million different images over the course of their lifetime.
- Every iris is more unique than a fingerprint. The iris of your eye has 256 unique characteristics, while fingerprints have only 40.
- Every person has one eye that is stronger than the other. The degree of that difference varies widely among different people.
Keep Your Eyes Is Amazing Shape With South Palm Eye Associates
If our World Sight Day facts have reminded you to schedule a comprehensive vision exam, you should visit South Palm Eye Associates. Our experts are here for your sight needs. Call us today at 561-737-4040 to make an appointment as soon as possible!