Our eyes are one of our most amazing and useful body parts. As the saying goes, they are windows to the soul. The most important part of avoiding ocular emergencies is maintaining good eye health throughout your life. Here are a few easy things you can do to have healthy eyes and promote eye injury prevention.
Here Are Eye Injury Prevention and General Eye Health Safety Tips!
- Wear protective goggles whenever needed. This can include during construction, gardening, certain exercises, and even cleaning. This will protect you from debris and chemicals.
- Avoid touching your eye after touching chemicals or spicy foods. Wear gloves when handling any harsh chemicals and hot peppers, and make sure to clean your hands before getting your hands anywhere near your eyes.
- These days, screens are everywhere, and it’s more important than ever to take care of your eyes in relation to screens. Try to keep screens at least an arms length away from your eyes when they are in use. You should also try to take periodic breaks from looking at the screen. Every twenty minutes look at something twenty feet away for at least twenty seconds. People often blink less when looking at screens, which can dry out the eyes.
- Wear sunglasses. Make sure your sunglasses block UVA and UVB rays, and wear them when you are being exposed to the sun. This can help prevent a number of eye diseases.
- Quit smoking. Smoking makes you more vulnerable to cataracts, glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy, and age-related macular degeneration.
- Your diet can have a big impact on your ocular health. That’s not to say that you should start buying carrots in bulk, though some extra beta-carotene will not hurt. Instead, make sure you are consuming plenty of omega-3 fatty acids and green vegetables. Kale, broccoli, peas, and avocados all contain zeaxanthin and lutein, which are good for eyes.
- Ditch old eye makeup. Expired makeup can contain bacteria that can be potentially harmful to the eye. It’s also important to regularly clean your makeup brushes to avoid bacteria.
- Keep an eye on your eye health with regular exams by an an eye doctor.
Where Can I Go For Help With My Eye Health?
At South Palm Eye Associates, our eye care experts are here to help you with any eye-related questions or concerns you may have. Set up an appointment today by calling 561-737-4040, so we can be your go-to provider for ocular emergencies!